A friend of mine posted this on her blog, good food for thought: http://www.newsweek.com/id/133103?GT1=43002
I am much more of a free range mom than I thought I would be. I always thought I would be overprotective and worried. I do worry about Mere when I'm gone more than 1 hour and I check on her when she's sleeping but I haven't had too many qualms about others babysitting her or holding her. I think it's good for her to have new experiences and for me to let go more often. I can't say if I would let my nine year old ride the subway, it would depend on the kid themselves and where I lived.
I do think we don't allow kids to shoulder as much responsibility as they should-I think people need to worry more about teaching their children how to avoid or react in a dangerous situation rather than sheltering them from everything, which isn't possible anyway. I also think we need to teach our children skills rather than letting them play and live in a carefree world. Children need to know how to work and learn life skills--I am so grateful to a mom who taught me to sew, cook, clean, garden, work hard, be creative, and how to budget money and time wisely (which I don't always do, but at least I know how:)
Let me know what you think!
1 comment:
Amen to that!
Post a Comment